Engineering Simulation Benefits
Modern product design processes involve simulations.
Reduce time to market and development costs
- Being first to market with a new product plays a huge role in companies success. Emerging markets present big opportunities.
- Market pressures are constraining product development teams to develop complex, high quality products, at an ever faster pace.
- There is no time for engineering to make wrong decisions, and engineering decisions have a direct impact on product profitability.
- By using simulation tools early in the design process, it is possible to reduce development cost and time in many ways:
- Limiting construction of physical prototypes and realization of experimental tests,
- Reducing cost of change by catching design flaws early in the process (in the virtual world).
- Obtaining more optimized products that save material.
- Evaluating products for a wider range of “real world” scenario.
- In summary, it allows to implement a “get it right the first time” strategy.
- One solution allowing this approach is the optimization tool SIMULIA TOSCA.
Better understand product behavior: Making the right decisions
- Companies have the challenge of quickly developing products that meet customers expectations, at competitive prices. Balancing Time, Cost and Product Quality has become very difficult. Decisions must be taken fast on which design is the best or which will fail.
- This means engineers need to quickly evaluate product behavior.
- But a recent study of close to 500 organizations done by Aberdeen Group shows the most popular answers to why it is now difficult to understand product behavior (top graph). Complexity of both the products (more technology) and the environment in which they operate (regulations, quality) is the most important factor. Limited access to qualified resources, competition, and higher demand for quality from customers are the other most mentioned factors.
- The same study shows the top strategies organizations are putting in place to improve product behavior understanding (bottom graph). The five most important strategies are all related to simulation, but by far the most important one is to use Simulation earlier in the design process. Other strategies are an effort to obtain more realistic simulations by favoring collaboration and combining more physics into the analyses.
- Using Simulations helps to better understand and predict product behavior. Engineers can study more design iteration early and filter out unfeasible or low performing designs. This enables fast decision making and lead to creativity.
- One available solution for better understanding product behavior through realistic simulations is SIMULIA ABAQUS.
Improve design robustness
- The consequence of improving product robustness is making steps towards building a brand reputation for high quality.
- With the products and environment becoming more and more complex, it becomes difficult to fully understand product behavior. In addition to this, customers expectations for high quality is a driving market pressure.
- In order to minimize after market problems and warranty cost, simulation tools can be used to take into account design parameters variability (like material properties, and manufacturing tolerances, loads) that may make the product unreliable.
- Design Of Experiment (DOE) methods and Monte-Carlo simulations are perfect tools to easily study product reliability. For more information, look at SIMULIA ISIGHT page.
- Another aspect affecting quality and reliability of products is their long term performance. Many warranty claims and product recalls are caused by repeated loading over time that eventually create fatigue failure. It is then a good idea to see if we can break products before putting them on the market.
- Physical fatigue tests are time consuming and far more expensive than other types of testing. This is opposite to the necessity on companies to be fast on the market and cheap in price.
- Companies turn to simulation for this purpose. It is possible to virtually subject products to repeated loading and predict minimum product life without making prototypes.
- Look at SIMULIA FE-SAFE for more details.
Understand and Optimize your manufacturing processes
- Strategic Manufacturing is becoming more and more important for companies to differentiate themselves from the competition. The simulation technology offers tremendous opportunities for improvement in terms of quality, cost, production time and to drive innovation on the shop floor.
- Our vision of the modern product development process is to include simulation for the manufacturing stage to prevent problems on the production floor. During production is a bad timing to find problems, because corrections are usually very costly in terms of time and money.
- Usage of virtual simulation for metal forming processes and welding is available and growing rapidly. The return on investment for this technology is usually obtained easily within a year. Some of the benefits of using simulation for metal forming processes are the following:
- Tooling right the first time (reduce rework)
- Optimization of material usage (reduce material)
- Increase in tool life (prevent tools failure)
- Efficient usage of machinery
- Minimize scrap material
- Getting a view into the inside of a process (for better understanding).
- For information on metal forming capabilities and how it can help you, visit the SIMUFACT.FORMING page.
- Fast and Accurate Welding Simulation is now available to investigate and improve your welding processes. Here is what you can achieve by involving simulation for welding:
- Prevent distortion problems
- Predict residual stresses after welding
- Easy modification of welding sequences, speeds, heat input, clamping, etc.
- Get the process parameters right the first time.
- Go visit the SIMUFACT.WELDING page for more information.